Following is a summary of my lightning talk on Annotum2Go at the August WordPress DC meetup.
Open-source WordPress theme for open access scientific publishing
- Supports the National Library of Medicine’s XML Journal Article Tag Suite, aka JATS-XML.
- Rich editing (equations, figures, references), workflow/approval, and multi-author collaboration.
- Successor to Google Knol
- Available on WordPress.com, .org
- Widely used – 200k downloads to date
- PLoS Currents: http://currents.plos.org/genomictests/
- More information: http://annotum.org
Annotum stand-alone use cases
- Individual users creating articles: http://annotum.org/system-vision-and-use-cases/ (i.e., using Annotum like MS-Word to create JATS-XML documents)
- Development environment while traveling or otherwise offline
- Stand-alone WAMP stack
- Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP
- Runs from disk, USB, CD
- Open-source and free
- Easily configurable
Important: be sure to set Server2Go to save changes (i.e., non-CD mode) as described here.
- Pre-configured Annotum runtime environment
- Custom icon, splash screen (‘gold’ level support from Server2Go)
- Distributed with FireFox Portable for use in “IE-only” environments e.g Government offices
- Installs and runs without admin privileges in most cases
- Completely stand-alone – no internet connection required.
- Tip: to allow your Annotum2Go (or Server2Go) setup to send mail, install Mercury Mail (and see the instructions in this Gist).
- Download Annotum2Go: https://github.com/Annotum/Annotum/wiki/Downloads
IMPORTANT: This distribution is intended for personal use on a local system only. It has not been checked for security or stability on servers or on systems accessible from the Internet.
Running a Mac? a Mac version of Annotum2Go available on the Annotum wiki download page (uses MAMP)
Running a Chromebook? Check out this article on installing a LAMP stack on ChromeOS.
No computer (just a browser)? Check out Koding for a free Linux VM in the cloud with in-browser editing and shell access.
Download, unzip and run. That’s it!
Annotum is a product of Solvitor LLC with heavy lifting by Crowd Favorite.
Special thanks to: Google, PLoS, NIH/NLM/NCBI, and Automattic.
Annotum is free (speech and beer).
Contact Carl @gcto on twitter or via http://solvitor.com/contact
2 thoughts on “Stand-alone WordPress Development and Deployment using Server2Go”
Annotum2Go no me abre en windows xp, si sera compatible?
It may run on XP, but I would suggest using Windows 7 at a minimum.
If you just want to run WordPress and Annotum for free, somewhere, consider using http://koding.com – you can install MySQL and WordPress.